Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Insurance for IEC International Experience Canada (Working Holiday)

Dear Working Holiday makers,

Getting ready for your journey? When you look for insurance, don't decide on the spot. Shop around and see what the best option is. Here're some tips.
- Lower premium means less coverage. Make sure to cover what you need.
- Read policy wording before purchase(especially exclusion clause)
- Ask questions. Understand some important definition such as "pre-existing condition" and "emergency".

5 Steps to purchase policy
1) Visit our website. 
2) Check premium.
3) Check summary of benefits. E-mail us for any questions.
4) Apply on-line. (For 2-year-policy, please contact
5) You'll receive a confirmation letter, policy book and a wallet card by e-mail.


Q. What if don't have insurance?
A. You may be refused entry by immigration officer.

Q. I don't want purchase 2-year-policy. What if I purchase only one year?  
A. You may end up a visa that expires at the same time as your insurance. In this case, you cannot apply for visa extension at a later day. 

Q. I'm travelling to U.S. Will I be covered?
A. Yes, the coverage is worldwide except your home country.

Q. How long does it take to get a policy?
A. Within a business day. 

Q. What's the benefit of purchasing insurance from Canadian Insurer?
A. Easy to call for assistance in case of emergency.   

Q. I'm already in Canada. Any plan I can apply for?
A.  All Visitor Plans on our website accept applicants within Canada. Waiting period applies(period varies in each plan).  

Q. Do I get a refund if I cancel my policy after my arrival to Canada?
A. Refunds are payable only when:  
- You return to your home country prior to the expiry date permanently.
- You become insured under a Canadian provincial or territorial heath plan.
Supporting documents such as photocopy of boarding ticket will be required.

Any Questions? Contact us  Cheers!

Medical Costs in Canada - Real Stories

Welcome to Canada! Have you purchased Travel Insurance? If not yet, please re-consider. Health Care Expenses are high in Canada.

The following are the real stories of visitors who had medical emergencies in Canada.  

Case A

Stravros, a 29-year-old from Greece came to Canada to visit friends in British Columbia. A food allergy caused a visit to the emergency room and an overnight stay in the hospital.
>Medical costs: $4,300 >Travel Insurance cost:$238.50

Case B

Carla, a 63-year old from Spain was visiting her grandchildren in Ontario for a year on a Super Visa when she suddenly felt pain in her chest. After being admitted to the nearest hospital, she was diagnosed with a heart attack.
>Medical costs: $37,000  >Travel Insurance cost:2,273.95

Case C

Tow days after arriving in Nova Scotia, Hani, a 63-year-old from Indonesia was admitted to the hospital and diagnosed with a urinary tract infection.
>Medical costs:$1,200  >Travel Insurance cost:$373.80

By courtesy of our partner TIC, Travel Insurance Coordinators

To apply for visitor plan, please our website

If you're looking for two-year-policy, contact
Any questions? We're here to help you. Contact

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Tax return for Visitors to Canada

Have you filed your tax yet? Filing due date for 2014 is due on April 30, 2015.
For those self-employed, it's due midnight on June 15, 2015.

In Canada, your income tax obligations to Canada are based on your "residency status (for tax purpose)".  It does not always match your visa status as Canada Revenue Agency(CRA) has own rules. 

In general, visitors to Canada fall into one of the following categories.

A. Immigrants -Newcomer to Canada
   - People who applied for Permanent Residence or Citizenship.
   - Protected persons(refugee)
   - People who received "approval-in-principle" from CIC to stay in Canada
B.  Non-residents of Canada
   - Normally, customarily, or routinely live in another country and are not considered a resident of Canada.
   - Do not have significant residential ties in Canada; and
     >you live outside Canada throughout the tax year; or 
     >you stay in Canada for less than 183 days in the tax year.
C.  Deemed residents
- Lived outside of Canada during the tax year.
- Stayed in Canada for 183 days or more in the tax year, do not have significant residential ties with Canada, and are not considered a resident of another country under the terms of tax treaty between Canada and that country.

An individuals's residency status (for tax purpose) is determined on a case by case basis. To check your residency status, go to CRA website:

To see if you need to file a return, follow the instruction on CRA website:

Questions? Contact CRA. Extended telephone service available until April 30.